Adobe Digital Editions
ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS FOR PCS, MACS AND WINDOWS-RUNNING DEVICES
ADE provides free digital rights management and a platform for borrowable e-books. Your borrowed e-books stay with your ADE account and your copy of the software, so you must set it up on your own computer, not shared Library computers. Once set up, your account can be synched to, and ebooks moved, between multiple devices.
When you click to download (borrow) an eligible e-book, indicate in the pop-up box that the .acsm file (a "key" file for ADE, not the book itself) should open in Adobe Digital Editions. ADE opens in a separate window with the book displayed within. The actual pdf file will be stored in your computer.
Description: A large collection of recent multidisciplinary titles from major academic publishers. A trial Five College subscription through November 2014. All books can be used by multiple users.
The collection: Around 140,000 titles published from 2009 to the present.
Find along with print books:
- Five College Catalog . Click the e-book title, then Click for call number and availability, then click the online link.
Or search just the EBL database directly.
Unlike other e-book packages, EBL requires logging in with a Hampshire ID before its books can be viewed.
In the EBL screen, click eBook Full Text. Use the arrows or scroll down to move from page to page., or scroll down. Zoom using top menu button.
Print/Email/Save Up to 60 Pages
Click the Copy/Print button on the upper menu bar.
Borrow/Download to Read Offline on Your Own Computer or Device
Requires Adobe Digital Editions (see left sidebar on this page).
1. Click the Download button on the vertical menu bar.
2. Follow prompts on the left. Loan period is 7 days, after which the file will self-destruct. Format is pdf; sometimes e-pub is an option too. Click the Download button.
3. In the next pop-up, specify Adobe Digital Editions, then click OK. Your ADE window should open with the book in it. If not, open ADE to find the book.
The Bookshelf link in the upper menu bar displays all the books you've accessed. Use the My Collections link to create lists of books. Use Manage Collections to email lists or export them to a spreadsheet
While reading a book, click the Notes tab in the vertical menu bar. View your notes via the Bookmarks button on your Bookshelf.
Once there are five significant uses of the title, the Libraries will automatically purchase it. (A “significant use” is defined as a download, or viewing the book online for 10 minutes or more.)
BLUEFIRE FOR IPHONE, IPAD AND IPOD TOUCH
Borrowing library e-books on an IOS device requires BlueFire Reader synched to your Adobe Digital Editions account.
1. If you don't have one yet, create an ADE account on your computer. Allow for multiple devices.
2. If you don't have one yet, get an Apple ID.
3. Download Bluefire Reader on your IOS device. As prompted, authorized for use with Adobe ebooks using your ADE account.
4. When downloading your e-book, follow prompts to open in Bluefire.